By Brian Jules Campued
A total of 396 deaths nationwide due to dengue have been reported from January 1 to August 10 this year, according to the Department of Health’s (DOH) latest epidemiologic data.
This is lower than the 421 deaths recorded during the same period in 2023, the DOH said.
The Health department also noted a 24% increase in dengue cases from 18,784 on June 30 to July 13 to 23,290 on July 14 to 27.
Meanwhile, only 13,369 cases were reported on July 28 to August 10—against which the DOH cautioned that “there may be late consultations and reports.”
In total, the country has registered 150,354 dengue cases since January 1, which is 39% higher compared to the 107,953 cases in the same period last year.
All regions except Soccsksargen, Zamboanga Peninsula, and Bicol showed an increase in cases in the recent three to four weeks counting back from August 10, the DOH further said.
According to the agency, the trend of higher detection of dengue cases with lower fatalities can be attributed to better health-seeking behavior of Filipinos.
It likewise reminded the public to continue practicing the 4S strategy against dengue—”search and destroy” mosquito breeding grounds, execute “self-protection” measures from mosquito bites, “seek early consultation” for any symptoms, and “support fogging or spraying” in hotspot areas.
Health Sec. Teodoro Herbosa on Monday disclosed that the agency will soon declare a dengue outbreak in the country, as the number of cases have already reached “outbreak levels”.