
By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has vowed to further improve disaster risk reduction (DRR) efforts at both local and national levels after the country reeled from massive flooding caused by the recent spate of typhoons.
In a vlog posted on social media Friday, Marcos noted that millions of Filipinos have been affected while billions’ worth of damage were incurred by the infrastructure and agriculture sectors due to the recent onslaught of typhoons, which he said have been exacerbated by climate change.
Severe Tropical Storm Kristine (international name: Trami) caused massive flooding in the Bicol region and led to the suspension of classes and government work in Luzon last week.
Just this week, Typhoon Leon (international name: Kong-Rey), a super typhoon at one point, battered northern Luzon, especially Batanes province.
Noting the Philippines’ vulnerability to disasters and climate change, Marcos emphasized the need to improve the planning of infrastructure projects, as well as DRR efforts of the government to mitigate the impact on the communities.
“Ang mabilis na pagresponde sa mga nasalanta ay mananatiling prayoridad natin. Kasama ang DSWD, DND, DPWH, DILG at iba pang mga ahensiya ng pamahalaan, maaasahan ninyong pagtitibayin pa ang ating national at local disaster risk reduction at response,” Marcos said.
“Kaya kailangan natin maging magaling sa larangan na ito—disaster risk reduction, [in] both the public at saka private sector[s]. Para naman mabawasan ang mga napapahamak sa mga ganitong uri ng sakuna,” he added.
Annually, about 20 storms and typhoons batter the Philippines, which sits at the heart of the Pacific typhoon belt.
In 2013, Super Typhoon Yolanda (international name: Haiyan), one of the strongest recorded tropical cyclones in the world, left more than 7,000 people dead or missing and flattened entire villages.
Recovery
The President, likewise, assured the public that the government remains ready to render the necessary assistance to help those affected by the recent typhoons.
“Naririnig namin ang inyong saklolo at ginagawa namin ang lahat upang mailagay kayo sa mas mabuting kalagayan,” Marcos said.
“Sa isang Bagong Pilipinas, lalo pa natin pagbubutihin ang ating pagtugon sa hamon ng climate change,” he added.
“Upang, una, mabawasan ang kaswalidad sa bawat sakuna; pangalawa, upang mabawasan ang bilang ng mga tao at pamilyang naaapektuhan; at pangatlo, upang maprotektahan ang mga maliliit na komunidad at ang mga kabuhayan nila dito,” he went on.
Damage in Batanes
The presidential assurance comes at the heels of the report by the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Cagayan Valley that Typhoon Leon inflicted severe damage on the province of Batanes.
In an interview with PTV 4, OCD Region 2 Director Leon Rafael said Batanes was the hardest-hit area as the super typhoon exited the Philippine area of responsibility this morning.
He said that he has coordinated with Batanes Gov. Marilou Cayco and provincial disaster officials to assess the extent of the destruction.
“There has been damage to houses and various crops, as well as landslides on major roads in Batanes,” he reported.
Cagayan Valley is now experiencing fair weather in time for the observance of All Saints’ and All Souls’ Days, the official noted.
He added that the OCD continues to monitor water levels in river systems for potential flooding or landslides resulting from the heavy rains brought by Leon and Severe Tropical Storm Kristine, the latter having impacted various regions across the country last week. (With a report from Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)