
By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency
Malacañang said on Monday that there are no discussions regarding a potential reenacted budget for 2025, as President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and his Cabinet members carefully review the 2025 General Appropriations Bill (GAB), two days before Christmas.
Marcos met with Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, Public Works and Highways Secretary Manuel Bonoan, and the economic managers to examine the proposed P6.352-trillion 2025 national budget in Malacañang, according to the Presidential Communications Office (PCO).
The printed copy of the spending bill was only received by the Palace late afternoon of Dec. 20, PCO Secretary Cesar Chavez told reporters.
He added that Marcos hopes to sign the budget bill before the end of the year.
“In the two meetings I attended with them, there was no mention of that,” Chavez said when asked about the possibility of a reenacted budget for 2025.
Last week, Marcos indicated that the Office of the President would closely examine the 2025 budget, especially provisions he described as “worrisome.” He also stated he would explore ways to restore the P10-billion cut from the Department of Education for 2025.
Additionally, Marcos defended the decision not to allocate any subsidy for the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. next year, citing the state insurer’s estimated reserve of P500 billion as evidence of its financial stability.