PDEA destroys P489-M illegal drugs in Central Visayas

REINFORCING THE GOVERNMENT’S STANCE ON NARCOTICS. PDEA Region 7 destroyed almost half-a-million pesos worth of illegal drugs on Thursday (Nov. 14), sending a clear message to the public that these dangerous substances have no place in PH society. (Photo courtesy of Cebu City PIO/Facebook)

By John Rey Saavedra | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Thursday destroyed P489 million worth of dangerous drugs, the biggest destruction in Central Visayas since 2017, an anti-narcotics official said.

Alex Tablate, regional director of PDEA-7, said that more than 71 kilos of shabu, 3 kilograms of marijuana, 55 tablets of ecstasy, and other dangerous drugs—all amounting to P489,415,611—were fed to a thermal chamber of the Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes in the downtown area here, following a court order.

Tablate said the destruction was the second for this year, and the biggest in volume so far in the region in seven years.

“Before the destruction, the substances were tested by PDEA-7 chemists in front of witnesses to dispel doubts that the substances were replaced,” he told the media before the drugs were fed to the thermal chamber.

The burning was witnessed by an elected public official and representatives from the Department of Justice, Public Attorney’s Office, civil society, and media as mandated under Republic Act 9165 and Dangerous Drugs Board Regulation No. 1-2002 on the proper custody and disposition of seized dangerous drugs.

Judge Ruelo Saladaga, Presiding Judge of Regional Trial Court 69, Lapu-Lapu City, who witnessed the destruction, highlighted in his message the importance of the holistic strategy of the country’s anti-illegal drugs campaign and of the court’s strong commitment to upholding justice.

According to Tablate, the destruction of the dangerous drugs seized from different personalities was through thermal decomposition, a method of breaking down chemicals by heat at 1,000 degrees Celsius.

The drugs destroyed were seized during various operations from 2003 to 2024 in Cebu and Bohol provinces and the three highly urbanized cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu conducted by the PDEA and the Philippine National Police.

Since 2017, Central Visayas has already destroyed a total of P2.36 billion worth of illegal drugs.

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...