1 dies of Lassa fever in Britain after 3 cases confirmed

Xinhua News Agency

 

LONDON – Britain has reported its first Lassa fever-related death after three cases were confirmed in the country, health officials announced Friday (Feb. 11).

The three patients, family members from the east of Britain, were linked to recent travel to West Africa, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said in a statement.

The cases are the first of the disease to be confirmed in Britain in more than a decade. Prior to this, there had been eight imported Lassa fever cases since 1980. The last two occurred in 2009.

According to UKHSA, there was no evidence of onward transmission from any of these cases.

In a statement, the National Health Service (NHS) advised that some staff at the hospitals where the patients have been treated undergo testing and wear more personal protective equipment (PPE) than normal.

The NHS has declared a major regional incident.

“Cases of Lassa fever are rare in the UK and it does not spread easily between people,” said Dr. Susan Hopkins, chief medical advisor at UKHSA. “The overall risk to the public is very low.”

The Lassa virus, which can cause an acute viral hemorrhagic illness called Lassa fever, is usually transmitted through exposure to food or household items contaminated with urine or feces of infected rats present in a number of West African countries where the disease is endemic. The virus can also spread through infected bodily fluids. (Xinhua) -ag

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...