10 wage hike petitions filed: NWPC

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – A total of 10 petitions for wage increase have been filed in six regional wage boards, the National Wage and Productivity Commission (NWPC) said on Monday (March 21).

NWPC executive director Criselda Sy said the majority of the wage petitions were filed last week.

The regions that are asking for salary adjustments are the National Capital Region (NCR), Regions 3 (Central Luzon), 4-A (Calabarzon), 6 (Western Visayas), 7 (Central Visayas), and 8 (Eastern Visayas).

“The petitioners are asking for a P750 minimum wage per day. There is also a petition for example in NCR asking for P400…I forgot the figure but it’s more than P400 increase in the minimum wage,” she said in a media forum.

Sy said the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III has ordered the wage boards to review the minimum wage in their respective areas. Bello expects the results of the review will be out next month.

Asked whether a petition will be granted, she said the wage boards recognized the urgency of increasing the salary of the workers.

“But if you ask me if they are receptive or not, that still depends on what they will talk about,” Sy said.

There are some 3.6 million minimum wage earners in the country, receiving P537 a day.

Last week, the Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) filed a wage petition asking for a P470 increase in the daily minimum wage in NCR.

Earlier, Bello has activated all wage boards in the country to assess if there is a need to increase the salary of workers amid the continuing increase in oil prices.

The NWPC is an attached agency of the DOLE. (PNA)

-ag

Popular

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...

Palace: PBBM has no personal knowledge of DPWH ‘leadership fund’

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has no personal knowledge of the so-called “leadership fund” in the Department...