11 barangay officials in Davao involved in illegal drugs: PDEA

DAVAO CITY — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Dava Region (PDEA 11) on Tuesday bared that 11 barangay officials are involved in illegal drugs trade, up from the six recorded in the previous year.

PDEA 11 regional director Antonio Rivera said they have monitored two barangay officials who previously surrendered but returned to their illegal activity.

Of the 11, he said three are barangay captains while the eight are barangay councilors.

He added that one of the 11 barangay officials is from Davao City. Rivera, however, refused to name them for confidentiality. Aside from Davao City, Davao del Norte, Davao Oriental and Davao Occidental have three each and one in Davao del Sur.

Rivera urged them not to run in the upcoming barangay election to save themselves and family from shame.

“Kini pud sa mga barangay kapitan, kung kabalo mo nga inyon mga kagawad apil sa ingon ana, isulti sa amoa, tapos ingna nga dili na sila dapat mo dagan kay apil sila sa illegal activity (I also asked the barangay captains to report to us if you know that your councilors are involved in illegal activities and tell them not to run),” he said.

He said these officials cannot fool the voters anymore since they are well informed about the mandate of President Rodrigo Duterte against illegal drugs.

Rivera also asked the voters not to choose the barangay officials who are involved in illegal drugs to save their community.

Earlier, John Nardo, 36, Barangay Councilor of Barangay New Visayas in Panabo City was nabbed by PDEA 11 through a search warrant.

PDEA 11 report bared that Nardo was on the top 10 regional and provincial target list and also included in the list of President Duterte. (Armando Fenequito Jr/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...