13 killed in Nigeria suicide bombing

A suicide bomber has killed 13 other people in the restive northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri on Sunday.

The Sunday evening attack also injured five people. Two subsequent suicide bombings injured more than a dozen others.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, but officials suspect Boko Haram the militant group is behind the violence.

Boko Haram has killed more than 20,000 people during in its eight-year insurgency against the Nigerian government in a bid to create a strict Islamic state in the majority Muslim north. Maiduguri, the capital of the state of Borno, is the birthplace of Boko Haram.

A report issued last month by the human rights advocacy group Amnesty International said at least 223 civilians have been killed at the hands of Boko Haram since April, including 100 civilians killed in August alone. The deadliest attack occurred on July 25, when 40 people were gunned down in an ambush on an oil exploration team in Borno state. Amnesty says the “real figure may be higher, as some attacks may have gone unreported.”

It said the violence from Boko Haram has led to millions of civilians across the Lake Chad region in need of humanitarian assistance. A total of 2.3 million people have been displaced in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger, and more than seven million face serious food shortages. | via Voice of America

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...