1,500 cops, soldiers to secure Antique during mid-term polls

By Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/Philippine News Agency

POLL DUTY. A send-off ceremony was held for the policemen and soldiers at the Antique Provincial Police Office in San Jose de Buenavista, Antique on Tuesday, May 7, 2019. Some 1,507 government forces will secure the province of Antique during the May 13 mid-term elections. (Photo by Annabel J. Petinglay)

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique – The Philippine National Police (PNP) and Philippine Army (PA) on Tuesday held a send-off ceremony at the Antique Provincial Police Office (APPO) for 1,507 security personnel to ensure peaceful election in various parts of the province.

“Remain vigilant, be careful and come home safe and well,” Colonel Leo Irwin D. Agpangan, APPO director, told the policemen and soldiers.

Lawyer Rommel Benliro, election officer here, said the Commission on Elections (Comelec) appreciates the sacrifices of the policemen and soldiers in securing the province for the May 13 election.

“The Comelec is thankful for the sacrifice that you are doing,” said Benliro, who represented Provincial Election Supervisor III, Lawyer Wil S. Arceño in the ceremony.

Lt. Col. Joel Benedict G. Batara, Commander of the 61st Infantry Battalion, 3rd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army, said later in a press conference that the Army is conducting joint checkpoints along with the police as a form of deterrence to threat groups particularly the New People’s Army (NPA).

“We have tightened the security,” he said.

He added that they are emphasizing the shared responsibility not only with the police and the Comelec, but also with the community by sharing information on vote buying and presence of private armed groups, among others.

“We are also deploying the Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU) to do combat patrols as our force multipliers,” he said.

Meanwhile, APPO Deputy Commander, Lt. Col. Orly G. Gabinete, said that so far, they have not received any report on vote buying.

“We are encouraging people to come out and report if they have knowledge about the massive vote buying,” he said.

Sent off to ensure peaceful elections were the 572 Organic Police Personnel of the APPO, 161 members of Police Quick Reaction Force, 716 augmentation forces from the Police Regional Office-6 and 58 Army soldiers. 

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Melvin Matibag takes oath as NBI chief

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Lawyer Melvin Matibag on Friday took oath as the new director of the National Bureau of Investigation...

No need for PBBM to monitor ICC proceedings vs. FPRRD

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency There is no need for President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to monitor the International Criminal Court’s (ICC)...

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...