17 Filipino hostages in ‘good condition’ – DFA

Department of Foreign Affairs (Photo courtesy of DFA / PNA)

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday said the 17 Filipinos being held hostage by Houthi rebels in the Red Sea are “in good condition”.

“Government sources say that the hostages are in good condition, and will eventually be released. Efforts are ongoing for this to happen as soon as possible,” it said in a statement.

The DFA had been making diplomatic representation with foreign governments for the release of the seafarers.

The 17 were among the 25 Galaxy Leader crew members who were on board the cargo ship hijacked by the Houthi rebels on Nov. 19.

On Thursday, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. announced that he is also dispatching a high-level delegation to Tehran, Iran to provide “necessary assistance” to the seafarers.

The agency has yet to provide information as to who will lead the mission.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...