1,700 Eastern Visayas cops deployed to secure ‘Undas’

TACLOBAN CITY — The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Eastern Visayas has deployed nearly 1,700 of its men to cemeteries, terminals, seaports, airports, and highways to ensure peaceful and orderly observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.

The deployment of 1,692 policemen kicked off Tuesday as people started visiting cemeteries to honor their dead loved ones.

PNP Eastern Visayas Regional Director, Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos said Tuesday that security measures will be augmented by 2,418 force multipliers from local government units and private organizations.

“We are putting all police units in the region in full alert status this week to prevent any untoward incident and help people respect the solemnity of the annual commemoration,” Carlos told reporters.

Earlier, the police regional chief asked hid men to coordinate with local government units, emergency response team, and other volunteers to identify their specific roles. Tasks may include traffic management and security patrol even in residential areas to prevent theft and robbery incidents.

“We remind the public not bring prohibited items inside cemeteries such as firearms, bladed and sharp weapons, alcoholic drinks, gambling items, speakers, and other materials which may disturb the solemnity of the occasion,” Carlos said.

Meanwhile, Carlos disclosed that crime incidents in the region declined during the first three quarters of the year. Records show that crime against persons dropped to 2,113 compare to the 2,553 of the same period in 2017.

Crimes involving properties and violations of special laws also decreased to 5,212 for January to September 2018 from 5,785 in the same period last year. (Sarwell Meniano/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...