18 CIW inmates test positive for COVID-19

Eighteen persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) have tested positive for COVID-19 at the Correctional Institution for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City. A Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) medical staff has also contracted the disease in the jail facility.

Authorities assured they have been isolated. “Rest assured naman na hindi naman sila exposed doon sa general population ng CIW (Rest assured that they are not exposed to the general population of the CIW),” BuCor Spokesperson Col. Gabriel Chaclag said.

Some of the said individuals have been experiencing mild symptoms while others have been completely asymptomatic. They are now under the care of the CIW medical facility and will be brought to the hospital if their conditions worsen. Chaclag said vitamins and food supplements have been given to them to boost their immunity.

The BuCor has already prompted the COVID-19 testing for 42 PDLs at the CIW and nine medical staffs who have interacted with an inmate who tested positive for the disease last week. There are currently 97 inmates being monitored in the facility.

Meanwhile, BuCor officials have assured the New Bilibid Prisons (NBP) is still free from COVID-19. – Report from Kenneth Paciente

Popular

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...