2 Bukidnon firefighters posthumously hailed as heroes

MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon–The provincial government here will extend financial assistance, rewards and incentives to the families of two fire fighters who died in the line of duty on April 6.

Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri Jr. early this week said plaques of heroism will also be given to the families of Alex Banilar and Wilfredo Baticon, who died while responding to a forest fire that hit a portion of the 500-hectare Bukidnon Provincial Tree Park, particularly in Barangay 9, this city.

Banilar and Baticon, both employees of the Bukidnon Environment and Natural Resources Office (BENRO), died of severe body burns.

Acting on the governor’s request, the provincial government on Tuesday passed a resolution granting Governor Zubiri the authority to give cash aid amounting to PHP200,000 for each family. Capitol will also give P95,000 to reimburse burial and other expenses.

Zubiri said a plaque acknowledging the heroism of both men will also be given. He added that the provincial government will also extend college education scholarships as incentives to Baticon and Banilar’s children.

According to BENRO, it was the first day of duty for Banilar and the third day of work for Baticon when the incident happened.

Banilar’s wife, Janette, said she considers her husband as hero in protecting the environment.

Janette said both men were skilled in firefighting as team leaders of firefighting crew of the defunct Bukidnon Forest, Inc. (BFI) for more than 27 years. They had been Indigenous People’s volunteers as firefighters in the Provincial Tree Park, especially during summer time.

They were hired as emergency laborers last April 2 to assist the BENRO in forest fire prevention and suppression.

Cecille Egnar, BENR Officer, said the victims were trapped by the forest fire while creating fire lanes.

The tree park was awarded to the provincial government on June 2003. It has been hit regularly by forest fires usually during the dry season. (Mel B. Madera/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...