2 Cavite LGUs monitored as election ‘hotspots’

By Dennis Abrina/PNA

Cavite Provincial Police Director Col. William Segun leads the pack of participants from the police, government, religious sector, academe and non-government organizations (NGOs) during the “Ugnayan ng Simbahan at Pulis” Solidarity Walk and Peace Covenant at the Imus City Plaza on March 16, 2019. (Photo by Dennis Abrina)

IMUS CITY, Cavite — Trece Martires City and Maragondon are among the local government units (LGUs) that are under close monitoring as areas of concern in Cavite by the provincial police office here after the ambush-slay last year of City Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan, which police described as politically-motivated.

Cavite Police Provincial Director, Col. William Segun, in an interview with PNA, disclosed over the weekend that they were keeping an eye on the two LGUs since the July 2018 ambuscade in Trece Martires City and the alleged involvement of politicians over an abandoned vehicle in a Maragondon highway following the shooting incident.

“Ginawa po natin ito para maging tahimik at maging maayos ang darating na halalan (we are doing this to ensure peaceful and orderly upcoming polls),” said Segun after spearheading the “Ugnayan ng Simbahan at Pulis” (USAP) Solidarity Walk and Peace Covenant for Free, Credible and Peaceful Elections” last Saturday.

He led the chiefs of police of Cavite’s seven cities and 16 towns, along with local candidates across the province, during the event at the Imus City Plaza in Barangay Poblacion 1-C here.

Provincial Election Supervisor lawyer Arnulfo Pioquinto and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Director Eloisa Rozul led the simultaneous recitation of the integrity pledge and the signing of the peace covenant with local political aspirants.

Conspicuous during the event were political rivals for the mayoral seat of Trece Martirez — returning candidate Jun Sagun and the vice mayor’s widow Gemma Lubigan.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...