2 female cops abducted in Sulu released: Albayalde

MANILA — Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde on Wednesday confirmed that the two policewomen who were abducted last month in Sulu have been freed.

Albayalde said Police Officer (PO) 2 Benierose Alvarez and PO1 Dinah Gumahad are now in the custody of Sulu Governor Abdusakur Mahail Tan’s men and are on their way to his residence.

“Earlier this noon, ang sabi ng RD (Regional Director,) they were released to people close to Governor Sakur Tan and on their way now (to) Governor’s residence,” Albayalde said.

He said the information indicated that local officials of Jolo were negotiating for the unconditional release of the two cops.

“Siguro yung negotiation, tulong na rin ng governor natin doon at hindi natin alam kung ano talaga paved the way for the release nung two hostage na yun. But of course, malaki tulong ng negotiations at tulong ng LGU doon sa Jolo, Sulu (The negotiation was done with the help of the governor. We don’t know what paved the way for the release of the two hostages. But of course, the negotiation and the local government unit of Jolo, Sulu were a big help),” he added.

When asked about the condition of the two policewomen, he said, “As of this time, nung huli kasi natin nakausap, okay na sila pero hindi pa natin sila nakita. (The last time we talked to them they were okay, but we have not seen them yet.) They have to undergo medical treatment and debriefing.”

Alvarez and Gumahad, along with two male companions identified as Jacksalem Blas and Faizal Ahidji, were kidnapped in Patikul, Sulu last April 29 by 11 armed men believed to be members of an Abu Sayyaf splinter group led by a certain Mujir Yada.

Ahidji was released on May 7 while Blas was freed a few days later.

The kidnappers earlier demanded PHP5 million for the release of the victims, although it was not clear if it was given. (Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...