2 Filipino doctors to exit Gaza Strip ‘possibly today’: DFA

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) building/ PNA file photo

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

Two Filipino members of the Doctors Without Borders are among the first wave of evacuees expected to finally exit the besieged Gaza Strip soon, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed Wednesday, Nov. 1.

The confirmation comes amid a Reuters report that Qatar has mediated a deal between Israel, Egypt and Hamas to allow the movement of foreign passport holders and critically injured people out of the coastal strip.

“The first to be allowed out would be members of international organizations. That includes the two Filipino doctors working with Doctors Without Borders,” DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose De Vega told the Philippine News Agency.

Asked if there is a timeline as of yet, the officials said: “Possibly today. Remember we are six hours advance time.”

Meanwhile, De Vega assured all Filipinos still waiting at the crossing that the Philippine Embassy in Cairo is in close coordination with Egypt to “prioritize Filipinos among nationalities to be first allowed exit.”

Data from the DFA shows there are at least 136 Filipinos living and working in the Gaza Strip.

A family of 10 is still unaccounted for while nine are in the northern Gaza where the Israel-Hamas hostilities are centered.

Of the nine, six were originally already in south Gaza to evacuate once the Rafah border crossing opened but decided to return to their residence in Gaza City from the long wait. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...