2023 ‘prolific year’ for gov’t anti-drug drive via BIDA program

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin “Benhur” Abalos Jr. (Photo courtesy of Benhur Abalos Official Facebook page)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Wednesday touted 2023 as a prolific year for the Marcos administration’s anti-drug efforts.

This as the government’s flagship anti-drug program “Buhay Ingatan, Droga’y Ayawan” (BIDA) has reached 15 regions and drew 230,000 people who participated in its activities and other initiatives, DILG Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said in a news release.

“Sa nakalipas na taon, naging bagong mukha ng kampanya kontra iligal na droga ang ating BIDA Program. Thanks to your efforts, we have conducted BIDA Fun Runs, training programs, Serbisyo Caravans, and other BIDA activities in 15 regions across the country involving various sectors,” Abalos said.

Abalos said the DILG forged strategic partnerships with different sectors to promote the BIDA Program and raise awareness about the ill effects of illegal drugs.

They also had tie-ups with more than 30 big business establishments through the “BIDA Workplace” initiative.

Recognizing sports as an effective means to encourage people, especially the youth, to ditch illegal drugs, the DILG also linked up with major sports leagues in the country such as the Philippine Basketball Association, Premier Volleyball League, and University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

Aside from working with athletes, the DILG also tapped some of the country’s up-and-coming entertainment stars from ABS-CBN and GMA to become BIDA ambassadors.

Major cinemas, such as SM Cinemas and Megaworld Lifestyle Malls also played the program’s ads before the start of every movie to encourage the public to join the government in combating illegal drugs.

“We are definitely off to a good start. We were able to bring the spirit of BIDA down to our communities in just over a year since its launch. Asahan po ninyo na magpapatuloy at lalo pang palalakasin ang kampanyang ito sa tulong ng iba’t ibang sektor ng lipunan,” Abalos added.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...