3.5K Filipinos in Libya warned anew after terror attack

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday again warned Filipinos in Libya to stay vigilant in the wake of a terrorist suicide bomb attack in Tripoli on Monday.

In a statement sent by DFA Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato, the department called on the 1,800 Filipinos in the Libyan capital to restrict their movement and continue to exercise caution following the attack by Islamic extremists at the National Oil Corp. headquarters in Dhara district.

To date, there are 3,500 Filipinos in the Arab country.

Chargé d’Affaires Mardomel Melicor of the Philippine embassy in Tripoli said six suicide bombers carried out the attack that left at least two persons dead. However, he reported that no Filipino was hurt or working for the agency.

Melicor advised Filipinos to remain alert despite the halt in the factional fighting in Tripoli, following a United Nations-brokered ceasefire.

Meanwhile, he assured that the embassy remains ready to assist any Filipino who wants to return to the Philippines.

Cato said crisis alert level 3 or voluntary repatriation is still in place in Libya.

Of the 1,800 Filipinos in Tripoli, Cato told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that no one has asked the embassy for assistance on repatriation.

“Level 3 is voluntary evacuation. No one has asked to be repatriated so far,” he said in a text message. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...