3 ‘exhausted’ BIFF members yield in NoCot

By Edwin Fernandez / Philippine News Agency

Tired of fighting for a futile cause, three members of the outlawed Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) operating in North Cotabato have peacefully yielded to officials in Midsayap, the military said Thursday (Nov. 11).

Col. Joven Gonzales, Philippine Army 602nd Brigade commander, said alias ‘Tongi’ and his two comrades, also identified only through their aliases ‘Shocks’ and ‘Marco,’ surrendered at their headquarters in Bgy. Salunayan on Wednesday afternoon.

“The trio also turned in two Barret sniper rifles and a 60 mm mortar launching pad,” Gonzales said.

He said the surrenderers all looked very exhausted and were yearning to see their families again soonest.

In a phone patch interview with reporters, Tongi said they will never go back to being rebels again. “Gusto na naming mamuhay ng mapayapa kasama ang aming pamilya at mahal sa buhay,” he said.

Gonzales said Lt. Col. Edgardo Vilchez Jr., the Army’s 34th Infantry Battalion commander, initiated the negotiation for the trio’s surrender.

Both Gonzales and Vilchez presented the surrenderers to Midsayap Mayor Romeo Araña also on Wednesday.

The mayor vowed to facilitate the three former rebels’ reintegration into mainstream society.

Araña said he is also currently coordinating with officials of the Bangsamoro Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) to provide livelihood assistance to former Moro combatants such as BIFF members who have opted to surrender peacefully.

The mayor and the two military officials also lauded the participation of local Moro Islamic Liberation Front field commander Abdullah Dats in convincing the surrendering BIFF combatants to start normal lives anew.

More than 100 BIFF fighters have surrendered to the Army’s 6th Infantry Division since September last year. (PNA) – jlo

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...