300 more cops deployed to secure Davao City’s Kadayawan Festival

DAVAO CITY — The Police Regional Office (PRO)-11 will deploy 300 members of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RFMB) to the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) as augmentation for the Kadayawan Festival.

“We have already conducted a series of meetings and preparations together with the local government unit of Davao City, particularly the Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC), and we are contributing even at the regional level,” PRO-11 director Chief Supt. Manuel Gaerlan on Saturday said.

Gaerlan said the deployment will start this week.

“I have committed to the Davao City Police Office at least 300 additional warm bodies to augment in securing Kadayawan activities,” Gaerlan said.

The regional police chief assured that the visitors would enjoy the festival free from any terrorist act.

“I hope this will be an incident-free Kadayawan that will be enjoyed not only by the people of Davao but also our guests,” Gaerlan said.

Aside from the deployment of additional forces, Gaerlan said there is also close coordination with the regional intelligence center for exchange of information that would enhance security preparations.

“But you know the most important is the participation of the public. If you observe suspicious looking things in your area, in business establishment that they might have check in, they must report. They (terrorists) make use of small inn,” he said.

Earlier, Benito De Leon, the chief of PSSCC, said 15,000 security forces from the DCPO, Task force Davao, volunteer police auxiliary, other law enforcement agencies and force multipliers will be deployed in the city.

De Leon said they will be deployed in areas, where there are major Kadayawan events. The festival organizers are expecting more visitors in the city for the Kadayawan.

The increase in forces to secure Kadayawan came following the explosion in Basilan last week.

Following the incident, Task Force Davao have further implemented stricter security checks at checkpoints leading into Davao City. (Rhoda Grace Saron/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...