40 Army troops in NegOcc receive commendation medals

By Nanette Guadalquiver/Philippine News Agency

BACOLOD CITY — A total of 40 troopers of two Philippine Army battalions in Negros Occidental received Military Commendation Medals for their successful operations against the Communist Party of the Philippines – New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) earlier this month.

The 303rd Infantry Brigade said in a report on Friday the recipients are from the 62nd Infantry Battalion based in central Negros, and the 79th Infantry Battalion headquartered in northern Negros.

Brig. Gen. Benedict Arevalo, commander of 303rd IB, who awarded the medals in separate rites on Wednesday, said it is his duty to keep the troops under him motivated. “I see to it that their hard work, sacrifices, and bravery in the battlefield are recognized,” he added.

The awarding program for the 62nd IB troopers was held at the battalion headquarters in Barangay Libas, Isabela town, and for the 79th IB soldiers, in Barangay Bato, Sagay City.

Arevalo joined the troops in their respective boodle fights to celebrate their achievements.

On April 14, 62nd IB troopers encountered NPA fighters in Sitio Kampong-oy, Barangay Cabcaban in Bindoy, Negros Oriental. They seized the rebels’ lair and recovered two M16 rifles and an M4 rifle, along with food items, cooking utensils, medical kits, and subversive documents, among others.

Three days after, soldiers of the 79th IB engaged the communist rebels in Sitio Banwa Minatay, Barangay Marcelo in Calatrava, Negros Occidental. The encounter led to the death of three rebel fighters and the recovery of an M16 rifle, an AK47 rifle, and numerous rounds of ammunition.

This year, Negrense troops have engaged the NPA in a total of eight encounters since February.

The CPP-NPA is listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Philippines.

 

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...