46 fireworks injuries leading up to New Year’s Eve: DOH

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor/PNA

MANILA — The Department of Health (DOH) reported a total of 46 fireworks-related injuries (FWRIs) a day ahead of New Year’s Eve revelry.

The FWRIs were recorded by 60 sentinel hospitals. There were three additional FWRIs recorded from 6 a.m. on Saturday until 5:59 a.m. on Sunday. Each of the cases came from Western Visayas, Central Visayas, and the National Capital Region.

They involved males ages two to 69 years and played with fireworks banned by the government.

One of the three cases was reported late. They suffered from burns without amputation, were given antibiotics, and sent home after treatment.

The DOH said the current FWRI statistics is 49 percent lower than in the same period last year, and 76 percent lower than the five-year average.

Fifteen out of the 46 cases suffered from eye injuries, while only five suffered from blast with amputation. The remaining 26 cases suffered from burns without need for amputation.

Twenty-three of the total cases happened on the streets, while 20 happened at home. The remaining three cases happened in other places.

Under Executive Order No. 28, the use of firecrackers shall be confined to a community fireworks’ display to minimize the risk of injuries and casualties.

The DOH also warned the public against illegal fireworks, such as Watusi, Piccolo, Atomic Triangle, large Judas Belt, large Bawang, Pillbox, Boga, Goodbye Philippines, Bin Laden, Mother Rockets, Lolo Thunder, Coke-in-can, Kwitom, Atomic Bomb, Five Star, Pla-pla, giant Whistle Bomb, Kabasi, and other unlabeled and imported firecrackers.

Among the banned fireworks, Boga, caused the highest number of injuries, followed by Kwitis, Piccolo, Triangle, Baby Rocket, and Luces.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...