4th dose rollout for seniors, front-liners mulled in late April

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora| Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – The rollout of the fourth coronavirus vaccine dose for senior citizens and medical front-liners could take place by the end of April once the emergency use authorization (EUA) has been approved, the Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday (March 26).

In a Laging Handa briefing, Health Undersecretary Myrna Cabotaje said the agency has applied for amendments in the EUA of select vaccines to be used as a second booster shot.

“Hinahanda na po natin ang ating mga guidelines at patuloy na nakikipagtalastasan sa mga eksperto (We are preparing the guidelines and we continue to discuss this with our experts,” she said.

“Uumpisahan na ito kapag ma-approve na ang EUA at guidelines. Tinatanya natin mga last week of April baka puwede nating simulan ito (We will start this by the last week of April once the EUA and the guidelines have been approved),” she added.

The DOH targets administering the additional dose to individuals in the high-risk and vulnerable groups, or those in the A1, A2, and A3 populations.

Cabotaje stressed two doses of vaccine are not enough for the vulnerable groups as immunity wanes over time, especially for seniors, hence the need for an additional shot.

As of this posting, some 11.7 million individuals have received their third coronavirus vaccine doses. The country has also fully vaccinated over 65.5 million people as of March 24, Cabotaje reported. (PNA)

-ag

 

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...