5 Filipinos among 39 dead in capsized Chinese ship

By Gabriela Baron

Five Filipinos were among those 39 persons who died in a capsized Chinese ship in the Indian Ocean last week, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) announced Wednesday, May 24.

In a statement, the PCG expressed its condolences to the bereaved families of those who perished on board a Chinese fishing vessel that sank last week.

“We are saddened by this development. Since day one, we have been monitoring and coordinating with the Australian Maritime Rescue Center and the Chinese Embassy as to the progress of the search and rescue [SAR] operations,” PCG Spokesperson CG Rear Admiral Armand Balilo said. 

Balilo also recognizes the efforts of the Australian and Chinese SAR teams that conducted operations in the Indian Ocean.

Several Chinese SAR teams remain in the said vicinity waters.

READ MORE: 5 Pinoys reported missing after boat capsizes in Indian Ocean 

-ag

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...