5 more rebels yield to Army in Sultan Kudarat

Photo Courtersy of Philippine Army (PA) 33rd Infantry Battalion (IB)

BAGUMBAYAN, Sultan Kudarat — Five more communist guerillas from the Indigenous Peoples (IPs) community in the mountains of Barangay Santo Nino here have surrendered to the military.

Lt. Colonel Harold Cabunoc, commander of the Army’s 33rd Infantry Battalion (IB), welcomed the surrenderees in simple rites around 9 a.m. Monday in Barangay Saripinang, Bagumbayan.

“It appeared they were pressured by our military combat operations,” Cabunoc said of the joint operations conducted by the Army’s 33rd and 57th IBs and 4th Special Forces Battalion of the Philippine National Police.

“They said they were tired of running away from military pursuit operations and decided to peacefully surrender to live normal lives,” Cabunoc added.

Ka Benong, the group leader, told military officials that he would like to seek help from the government to construct concrete roads leading to their village and a public school for their children.

The Army, according to Cabunoc, will process their inclusion to the coverage of Comprehensive Local Integration Program (CLIP) of the government being implemented by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Cabunoc added that he is working on things for the presentation of surrenderees to Sultan Kudarat Gov. Pax Mangudadatu.

With the surrender of five NPA rebels, the number of communist insurgents who surrendered to the Army rose to 120 since May last year. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...