55 People Killed in Violence in Northern Nigeria

Fifty-five people were killed in northern Nigeria this week after clashes between young Christians and Muslims, officials confirmed Saturday.

The fight on Thursday began after a dispute between Muslim and Christian youths at a market in north-central Kaduna state, residents told media.

In a statement Saturday, a spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari said the president “has condemned the latest communal violence in Kasuwan Magani in Kaduna state, which claimed 55 lives.”

Kaduna state police Commissioner Ahmad Abdur-Rahman said Friday that 22 people had been arrested in connection with the violence.

Nigeria is mostly split along religious lines with Muslims in the north and Christians in the south.

In his statement, Buhari said Nigerians too frequently resort to violence over misunderstandings.

“No culture and religion supports the disregard for the sanctity of life,” he said, adding that “peaceful coexistence is necessary for the progress of any society and its well-being.”

“Violence cannot be an alternative to peace. On the contrary, reliance on violence leads to ultimate self-destruction. Violence is an ill wind that blows nobody any good. Embracing peace is a necessity,” he said.

Kaduna state officials told the AFP news agency a round-the-clock curfew had been imposed in Kasuwan Magani, the site of the violence. (Voice of America News)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...