6 more Maute remnants surrender in Lanao

ZAMBOANGA CITY–The number of surrenderers from the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS)-linked Maute group climbed to 19 as another six members have surrendered to military authorities in Lanao del Sur, a top military official said Wednesday.

Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, Army’s 1st Infantry Division commander, said the six ISIS-linked Maute group members surrendered on Monday to the Joint Task Force Ranao in Sultan Dumalondong, Lanao del Sur.

Murillo said they surrendered to the Army’s 49th Infantry Battalion through the efforts of Sultan Dumalondong Mayor Jamel Kurangking, Malalis Barangay Chairperson Saber Solaiman and the police.

The surrenderers, whose names were withheld, turned over five high-powered firearms consisting of a 50-caliber Barret rifle, three M-79 grenade launchers and a Carbine rifle.

All six were placed under custodial debriefing, Murillo said.

Lt. Col. Edgar Allan Villanueva, the Army’s 49th Infantry Battalion commander, said the surrenderers were followers of Maute group sub-leader Mubarak Manalo.

Villanueva said they were involved in the attack of a military detachment in September last year while the main group of Maute members fought in Marawi City.

The attack on the detachment was a diversionary move as the military were closing in on the main group of Maute followers in the main battle areas, the military official said.

Murillo, who is also the Joint Task Force Zampelan commander, commended the troops, policemen and local officials who facilitated the surrender of the Maute group remnants.

“The continuous surrender of Maute ISIS remnants were the effects of dwindling of their organization, leadership and capabilities,” Murillo added. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...