60 OFW repatriates from Israel back in PH, get gov’t aid

Photo courtesy of DMW

By Marita Moaje | Philippine News Agency

A total of 60 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Israel who availed of the Philippine government’s voluntary repatriation program arrived via an Etihad Airlines flight at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 on Thursday afternoon.

Department of Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac, who welcomed the OFWs, said this brought to 879 the total number of OFWs from Israel, Lebanon, the West Bank, and Gaza who have returned to the Philippines since the government mounted repatriation flights amid hostilities between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas that began in October last year.

He said immediate assistance was provided to the 60 OFWs, including onsite medical and physical check-ups from the Department of Health, financial and comprehensive reintegration support worth P100,000 from the DMW and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, a livelihood aid worth P20,000 from the Department of Social Welfare and Development, and skills training vouchers from the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority.

Most of the repatriates from Israel were working as caregivers and hotel workers, Cacdac added.

One of them is Teresita Dagdag who has worked in Israel as a caregiver for 19 years.

Dagdag said even before the conflict broke out last year, she had already been planning to return home to the Philippines for good.

However, when the hostilities started, she had doubts about leaving her employer, whom she said was hearing impaired.

“Ang alaga ko ay bingi. Kahit sumabog na ang bomba di niya nadidinig. So ako yung naging ear niya, eye niya, kamay at paa niya. Every time mag siren, di niya nadidinig,” Dagdag said in an interview.

“So kahit gusto ko na umuwi, dahil sa pagmamahal ko sa kanya, tayo ay mga Pilipino katangian natin na kahit nasa gitna ng giyera hindi iiwan ang alaga, pinagpasa-Diyos ko na lang,” she added.

She recounted that she was even told by her employer’s children to leave their mother and secure her safety, but she opted to stay with her.

Dagdag said she finally availed of the voluntary repatriation after her employer succumbed to Covid-19 in February.

Irene Pelagio, meanwhile, said she finally decided to return home because of fear.

“Itong latest, ibang-iba na. Hindi tulad dati na kapag nagsisirena o nagpapalabas ng rocket, tinatawagan ko pa nanay ko, sabi ko tingnan mo yung rocket,” she said.

Pelagio said they have been safe in their dome as it can withstand rockets.

“Iyong pinakahuling nag-atake ang Iran na inatake nila ang Jerusalem, doon na kami natakot. Right away, nagpa-repatriate na kami,” she added.

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...