7 Filipinos abducted off coast of Nigeria released

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has reported that the seven Filipino seafarers kidnapped in Nigeria last month were released on Sunday.

The Philippine Embassy in Abuja confirmed the release in its report to Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. on Tuesday.

Ambassador to Nigeria Shirley Ho-Vicario said the Filipino seafarers are now in Zurich, Switzerland, from where they will be flown to Manila.

The seven were among the 12 crew members of the Swiss-owned MV Glarus taken by armed men, who boarded their vessel on September 22.

They were reported to have been taken by the gunmen as the vessel was making its way from Lagos to Port Harcourt.

According to the envoy, all 12 crew members were released on October 28. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...