74.5K PDLs released from BJMP-run jails in 1st 10 months of 2023

PAROLE. A total of 118 persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) leave the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City after being granted clemency by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday (Dec. 19, 2022). The DOJ has so far released nearly 6,000 PDLs this year, including 328 this December. (PNA photo by Yancy Lim)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

A total of 74,590 persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) have been released from prison facilities run by the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) from January to October this year, as part of initiatives to further decongest jails.

In a statement Tuesday, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said this also resulted in a decrease in the BJMP’s jail congestion rate — from 281 percent in January to 238 percent in October.

The number includes 7,647 PDLs who were released on bail; 10,592 who are serving sentences with time allowance, while 18,290 are serving without time allowances.

Meanwhile, another 6,249 PDLs were acquitted while 7,591 were transferred to the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor), youth detention facilities, National Center for Mental Health (NCMH), and drug reformation centers.

On the other hand, 51 PDLs were released on parole; 6,831 on probation; 4,677 on permanent dismissal, while 6,161 on provisional dismissal; 4,840 on recognizance; 60 are on community service; and 1,601 PDLs were released through other modes.

Abalos also recognized the BJMP’s efforts such as providing legal and paralegal services which have contributed to the decongestion of BJMP-run prison facilities.

He also pushed for the introduction of comprehensive programs that would convince inmates to change their ways and help them become productive members of society.

“The solution here is not building new jails. The right solution is to avoid committing crimes and not return to jails anymore. The theme here is correction — correcting mistakes,” Abalos said.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...