960 Cebu village watchmen to get honoraria

By Luel Galarpe/PNA

CEBU CITY – A total of 960 barangay tanods, or village watchmen, from 46 barangays here will receive their PHP8,000 honoraria from the Cebu City Hall on Friday.

Cebu City Office for Substance Abuse Prevention chief Garry Lao, who is facilitating the additional PHP4,000 monthly honorarium for the tanods, said in an interview Thursday that the amount to be given covers the months of November and December.

“I’m sure these tanods from the 46 barangays will be all smiles as they will finally get their honoraria tomorrow (Friday),” Lao said in Cebuano.

Village watchmen from 34 of the city’s 80 barangays have already received their honoraria earlier this month.

Lao said the recipients were from barangays in the city’s North and South Districts.

He also urged all village watchmen in the city to submit the needed documents and reports to his office as soon as possible for the processing of their honoraria for January.

Barangay tanods will no longer have to queue up for hours at City Hall to claim their honoraria as they were already given Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) cash cards last year.

The distribution of cash cards to tanods was the brainchild of Lao, who saw the need for a hassle-free system in releasing the honoraria of village watchmen, especially for those coming from the mountain and remote barangays.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...