DFA opens new consular office in Bulacan

By Manny Balbin/PNA

NEW CONSULAR OFFICE. Office of Consular Affairs Executive Director Maria Theresa S.M. Lazaro (center), Mayor Christian D. Natividad (2nd from left), Vice Mayor Gilbert Gatchalian (left), and Mr. Alexander Cruz, of Xentro Mall (2nd from right) lead the opening of the Department of Foreign Affairs Consular Office in the City of Malolos, Bulacan on Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019, while other local leaders look on. (Photo by Manny Balbin)

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) formally opened its new consular office on the third floor of the Malolos Central Transport Terminal in this city on Thursday, as part of the government’s continuing commitment to bring passport and other consular services closer to the Filipino people.

The occasion also marked the start of the week-long celebration of Fiesta Republic that will culminate on Jan. 23, in commemoration of the establishment of the First Philippine Republic by the Malolos Congress.

Office of Consular Affairs Executive Director Maria Theresa S.M. Lazaro, together with Mayor Christian D. Natividad, Vice Mayor Gilbert Gatchalian, Alexander Cruz, of Xentro Mall led the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the first consular office in the province.

Lazaro, who served as the guest of honor, said the opening of the new consular office would help serve people in the province of Bulacan and nearby areas.

She noted that the establishment of such consular offices is part of the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte to bring consular offices closer to the public.

Lazaro also said the services to be provided by the new office in Malolos City include passport applications and renewals.

“Temporarily, there is no authentication of passport and putting a red ribbon in this DFA Malolos office,” she added.

Natividad, for his part, is thankful for the establishment of the 700-square-meter consular office here.

“This is very convenient to the Bulakenyos as there is no need for them to go to Manila or Pampanga to obtain a passport or renew,” he said.

The Malolos City consular office has started accepting passport applications since last week after the soft launching.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...