Gov’t to work harder for better 2019 growth rate: Palace

By Earl Jed Roque/PNA

MANILA – Malacañang on Thursday said the government will work harder to achieve the economic growth target in 2019.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made this remark after the government missed its full-year economic growth target of 6.5 to 6.9 percent in 2018.

“Kapag may target ka at hindi mo nakuha eh siyempre medyo disappointed ka, (If you have target and you failed to hit it, of course you will be disappointed) but it doesn’t mean that you feel you’re such a failure. You work harder so that you can reach your target,” Panelo said.

Panelo said high inflation has prevented the government from hitting the economic growth target last year.

“Kasi ang tingin ko kung walang inflation rate na nagkaproblema mas mataas pa tayo sa target (I think if not of the inflation rate problem, we could have exceeded our target,” he said.

Despite slow performance, the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) expanded 6.2 percent in 2018, cementing the Philippines’ standing as one of Asia’s fast-growing economies, the government reported Thursday.

Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia said 2018 was the seventh consecutive year the Philippine economy sustained its growth of more than 6 percent.

Pernia said economic growth remained stable as it grew 6.1 percent in the fourth quarter last year from the revised 6 percent in the third quarter.

“Economic managers are very confident na (that) we are in the right track,” Panelo told the Palace reporters.

Panelo said the economic managers of President Rodrigo Duterte have been working now to neutralize “those adverse economic conditions”.

“The best is yet to come,” Panelo said.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...