Iloilo temporarily suspends release of assistance

By Gail Momblan/PNA

WAITING FOR EXEMPTION. Seats outside the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) are left empty on Friday (March 29, 2019) as the department awaits for the Commission on Elections to approve its request for exemption to release Assistance for Individuals in Crisis Situation. More or less 50 to 80 individuals seek the assistance from the PSWDO daily. (Photo by Gail Momblan)

ILOILO CITY — The Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) on Friday sent a request for exemption to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) national office for the disbursement of Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situations (AICS).

Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr., in a press conference, said the distribution of assistance is temporarily suspended starting Friday.

He cited Comelec Resolution Number 10511 that bars public officials or employees, barangay officials, government-owned or controlled corporations from releasing or disbursing public funds effective March 29 until May 12.

He said that PSWDO head Neneth Pador sent a letter of request to the regional instead of the national Comelec office.

“Our PSWDO sent the request on January but the mandate was changed. The request was supposed to be sent to the national Comelec,” he said.

“We will wait for the national Comelec to approve our request for exemption,” he added.

Judy Guadalupe, Social Welfare Officer IV of PSWDO, said a PHP3-million had been allotted for AICS on medical, burial, and calamity needs this quarter.

More or less 50 to 80 individuals seek the assistance from the PSWDO every day, she added.

Guadalupe assured that all municipalities were informed of the current situation.

“They were told to disseminate the information to avoid clients being tired of travelling from municipalities to Iloilo City,” she said.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...