DND dismisses Karapatan claim of more ex-military men in gov’t

By Priam Nepomuceno/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Department of National Defense (DND) on Wednesday shrugged off militant group Karapatan’s claims that President Rodrigo Duterte is planning to appoint more former military men in government.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the claim is “unfounded”, even as the President pronounced earlier that he prefers military men in public service.

“Unfounded allegations. If we, former military men, can do the job faster and better as the President says, what’s wrong with that? We are also Filipinos who are willing and eager to serve, are we also deserving that?” said Lorenzana in a message to reporters.

Karapatan, one of the groups allegedly acting as legal fronts of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA), claimed this situation is tantamount to enabling a de facto martial law situation in the country.

Karapatan secretary general Cristina Palabay earlier said this move by the Duterte administration is promoting a military mindset.

Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson, Marine Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, earlier said the front organizations of the NPA cheated foreign funding agencies like non-government organizations (NGOs) from the European Union and Belgium, by falsely representing themselves as defenders and rights advocates of marginalized groups and by presenting a dark image and abominable state of affairs in the Philippines.

Last week, Malacañang slammed the rights group’s recent remarks that the government committed summary execution during the incident in Negros Oriental.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...