Business as usual for OFWs in Libya amid tensions

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Despite the declaration of alert level III or voluntary repatriation phase in Tripoli and its surrounding areas by the Philippine government, life goes on for Filipinos living and working in the region, an official said Saturday.

“For many of our kababayan, the situation here in Tripoli is still normal despite the danger that looms just a few kilometers away,” Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato said.

The envoy said many of these Filipinos have been in Tripoli for a long time and have witnessed a seemingly endless cycle of violence and counter violence.

But in each meeting with them, Cato noted that the Philippine embassy in Tripoli has repeatedly appealed that they “seriously consider” the government’s offer to repatriate them while it still can.

“They tell us they are used to it and just like in previous fighting in the capital, the latest round will soon be over and it will be business as usual,” he said.

“We hope they are correct but we cannot take any chances. We need to make sure our people are out of harm’s way,” Cato added.

The embassy said it has received 19 requests for repatriation so far, while 49 Filipinos were evacuated by their employers to safer places.

Libya has witnessed escalated tensions over the past few days after Libyan security forces launched a counter attack against units loyal to its rival, the Libyan National Army, which have marched east of the country with an aim to claim the capital.

In his latest statement, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said there is “still time” to stop the violence in Libya and to avoid the worse.

This, as he noted that no military solution could resolve the ongoing conflict in the country.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...