Comelec: 5 electoral protests filed so far over poll results

By Ferdinand Patinio/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — At least five electoral protests have been filed before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) 11 days after the May 13 mid-term polls.

In a press briefing Friday, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez noted that as of noon on May 24, the electoral protests involved objections on the results of local polls.

Jimenez said petitions for local positions, such as city and provincial posts, are under the jurisdiction of the poll body while those for municipal mayor and lower posts are under the Regional Trial Court (RTC).

“We have protests from Taguig, San Juan, Leyte, Kalinga, and Negros. This is an incomplete list because there were still protests coming as of noon,” he added.

Election protests for senators and members of the House of Representatives will be under the jurisdiction of the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) and House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal (HRET), respectively.

Meanwhile, the Comelec official reported that more than 10 petitions have been filed against the plan of former National Youth Commission (NYC) chair Ronald Cardema to represent the party-list group, Duterte Youth.

“Apparently, there were a lot who filed oppositions. As of last count, there are over 10 that filed opposition. The cases may be consolidated. It will be too time-consuming to dispose of each one, especially if they raise, substantively, the same issues,” Jimenez added.

Cardema has filed an application to become a substitute nominee after his wife and the organization’s first nominee, Ducielle Marie Suarez, withdrew their acceptance of the nomination of the group, along with four other nominees of the party-list.

Last Wednesday, the Duterte Youth was awarded one seat after getting 354,629 votes in the mid-term polls.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...