Gordon: HK authorities acted with disrespect, exhibited lack of good judgment in the manner they treated another RP official

PR/via Eunice Samonte – PTV News

Senator Richard J. Gordon yesterday said Hong Kong authorities acted with disrespect and exhibited lack of good judgment in the manner they treated former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, who was detained for hours at the Hong Kong airport for undisclosed reasons.

Gordon pointed out that with Del Rosario’s pronouncements, too, on the abandonment of our fishermen by Chinese crewmen, such action cannot be interpreted as no less than intimidation if not outright harassment of a law abiding and internationally respected personality as the former DFA chief.

“Hong Kong authorities acted with disrespect and exhibited lack of good judgment. The maintenance of good and friendly relations, bilateral or multilateral, state to state, people to people, is a main objective of every government,” he said.

The senator pointed out that this is the second time in one month that a Filipino official had been detained for hours at the Hong Kong airport. Last May 21, former Ombudsman Morales experienced the same when she and her family visited Hong Kong. Although Morales was eventually allowed to enter Hong Kong, she decided not to push through with the trip.

Del Rosario and Morales sued Xi before the ICC for crimes against humanity over Beijing’s activities in the South China Sea.

“The relevant ranking Chinese officials should take heed that we cannot change geography, that the Philippines and China are close neighbors. And have had a long history of friendly relations that should not be imperiled by mindless action such as in the del Rosario and Carpio-Morales treatment by HK authorities and the West Philippine Sea,” Gordon said.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...