PAL, Cebu Pacific cited for improved on-time performance

By Ma. Cristina Arayata/Philippine News Agency

PLEDGE OF COMMITMENT. Airline executives sign a “pledge of commitment to support NAIA decongestion, develop Sangley Airport, and improve passenger convenience” at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City on June 26, 2019. Also in the photo are Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat (seated left) and Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade (seated 2nd from left). (Photo by Cristina Arayata)

MANILA — Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) general manager Ed Monreal on Friday commended the improved on-time performance (OTP) of Philippine Airlines (PAL) and Cebu Pacific (CEB).

“I laud the airline operators for doing their part to give Filipinos a comfortable life through improved on-time flight performance. We shall continue in this direction as we work on a number of solutions to decongest the NAIA (Ninoy Aquino International Airport),” he said in a statement.

On Friday, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) noted the improved OTP of PAL and CEB, saying the upward trend was noticeable two weeks after they signed a pledge of commitment to support NAIA’s decongestion, develop Sangley Airport, and improve passenger convenience.

PAL, CEB and AirAsia Philippines signed this pledge last June 26 in Manila which was witnessed by aviation officials and Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat.

MIAA has been publishing a daily record of lowest and highest OTPs of airlines since mid-May.

From an average of below 60 percent OTP in April, PAL’s average OTP in June was nearly 80 percent. For the first few days of July, PAL’s average OTP is 82 percent.

CEB, meanwhile, had below 60 percent OTP in June. For the first week of July, its OTP has improved to an average of 77 percent, reaching 80 percent at peak days.

The OTP is being measured by the number of departures and arrivals that take place in less than 15 minutes after scheduled departure and arrival times, including cancellations.

For his part, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said he hopes these figures would be increased and that more airlines would follow suit.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...