DOT open to review visa on arrival for foreign tourists

By Aerol John Pateña/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Department of Tourism (DOT) is open to reviewing the implementation of the visa on arrival policy for foreign visitors amid concerns that the influx of undocumented foreigners might pose security risks to the country.

“The Department of Tourism is open to review and reevaluate the issuance of Visa Upon Arrival (VUA) in the country to foreign visitors of certain nationalities with both the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Bureau of Immigration (BI), the duly designated government agencies with respect to visa issuance,” the DOT said in a statement on Friday, in reaction to the proposal of Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. to remove the privilege for foreigners.

The DOT also clarified that VUA is only granted to Chinese tourists that have passed the screening of tour operators accredited by both the department and the BI. They will be allowed entry after submission of all pertinent documents, subject to BI’s review and approval.

“We agree that prime importance should be placed on security and safety of our guests and locals. The grant of visas is to ensure entry of desirable visitors,” the statement reads.

Earlier this week, Locsin said he recommended the removal of the VUA privilege for foreign visitors following remarks made by National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon that the influx of undocumented foreigners, particularly Chinese tourists, might pose a security threat to the country.

Locsin said all visas must be issued to foreigners after vetting by consular offices worldwide.

In 2017, the BI started issuing visas to Chinese nationals on their arrival in the Philippines to draw in more tourists from China.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...