Death of handcuffed Chinese national alarms Palace

By Jelly Musico/Philippine News Agency

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo

MANILA — Malacañang on Sunday called on the Philippine National Police (PNP) to look ‘seriously’ into a handcuffed Chinese national who died after falling from the sixth floor of his office building in Pamplona Dos, Las Piñas City last Friday (Aug. 9).

“We express alarm on the death of a handcuffed Chinese national who reportedly died after escaping from a sixth-floor window and falling from the building,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.

The Chinese national, identified as Yang Kang, was allegedly being held prisoner by his employer. Police have yet to identify the employer but reports said authorities are already tracking him down.

“We ask the Philippine National Police, which is seriously looking into the matter, including tracking down the supervisor of the victim who allegedly made the former a prisoner, to treat the case with dispatch,” Panelo said.

He said the Palace is concerned with growing reports that foreign workers in the country are being subjected to coercion, illegal detention and other violations of law even by their own countrymen while in the Philippines.

“We need to put a stop to these illegal acts. We will not allow nor tolerate any kind of abuse inflicted on any foreigner whether sojourning or working in this country, whether done by their fellow nationals or by our own citizens,” Panelo said.

Panelo urged nationals from other countries, especially the Chinese workers, to report to the authorities any act performed by their employers in violation of any law.

“No one is exempted from the strict enforcement of our laws of the land,” said Panelo, also Chief Presidential Legal Counsel.

Amid the increasing the number of Chinese nationals working in Philippine offshore gaming operations (POGOs), Panelo earlier called on the foreign nationals to file formal complaints “so that this particular concern will be raised in the appropriate agencies of the government so we can properly respond”.

“We will not allow any violation of their rights as visitors or working nationals in this country. We certainly have the Constitution to guide government authorities in dealing with them. We have always to enforce the law,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing last week.

 

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

  

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...