PRRD proposed a special session in congress

President Rodrigo Duterte has suggested that the Congress of the Philippines conduct a special session to endow the government with ample contingency fund relevant to the escalating tension between the United States of America (USA) and Iran. Said fund, among others, will facilitate the possible pullback of Filipinos currently situated in the Middle East.

Alongside his recommendation to the legislature, the Chief Executive expressed his fear about the USA-Iran conflict which will shudder a considerable number of Filipinos. “We, Filipinos, are, really, in great peril. We have so many millions, . . . three, I think, of Filipinos working mainly in Middle East. Kinakabahan ako. Iran seems to be . . . a retaliation which I think will come. It’s a matter of time” (We, Filipinos, are really in great peril. We have so many millions, . . . three, I think, of Filipinos working mainly in Middle East. I am nervous. Iran seems to be . . . a retaliation which I think will come. It’s a matter of time), moaned the Head of State.

Before his statement, President Duterte had gathered the officials of the Department of National Defense (DND) and Armed Forces of the Philippines; he told them to prepare for the possible repatriation of Filipinos in said area.

The Malacañan, concerning the USA-Iran strain, informed that the Chief Executive had created a special working committee on the matter. The members of the body are the secretaries of the DND, Department of the Interior and Local Government, Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Transportation, and the national security adviser. Further, he instructed Department of Environment and Natural Resources chief and Special Envoy to the Middle East Roy Cimatu to head the region for coordination with other host countries with respect to the possible rescue of Filipinos there. Moreover, the palace stated that the Head of State directed Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers Abdullah Mamao to proceed to Iran and Iraq on January 07, 2020 to ice the safety of the compatriots there. Last, the Malacañan guaranteed that the administration prepares for all the consequences of the conflict.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...