OFWs in Qatar get P22 million benefits; King pardons 16 in Bahrain

The labor department on Thursday said it was able to provide assistance for 59 overseas Filipino workers in Qatar to secure unpaid salaries and end-of-service benefits.

The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Doha worked closely with the Qatar Ministry of Administrative Development Labor and Social Affairs for the payment of the benefits after the workers were terminated late last year by their employer.

“We are grateful for the assistance given by the Qatar government that compelled their previous employer to give the affected OFWs all the salaries and benefits due them,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said.

He said the 59 workers, employed by Leighton Contracting Company, were terminated from work in December 2019 on redundancy issues. Leighton, however, failed to provide salaries and separation benefits, prompting the workers to file a complaint with the POLO in Qatar.

The workers were employed as site engineers, site supervisors, foreman, plumbers, riggers and carpenters. They had been employed by Leighton for 2 to 5 years prior to their termination.

Leighton is currently arranging the repatriation of the 59 affected workers to the country.

Also in the Middle East, 16 OFWs were among the 154 inmates who were recently granted royal pardon by His Majesty King Hamad bin lsa Al Khalifa of the Kingdom of Bahrain.

The move, through a royal decree, was hailed by President Duterte as an act of the King’s benevolence made in celebration of this year’s Eid Al-Fitr.

“This act of humanity by His Majesty King Hamad Bin lsa Al Khalifa provides renewed hope and an opportunity for our countrymen and women to build new lives,” the President said in his letter of gratitude to the King.

Those pardoned were convicted of drug peddling, murder, accessory to murder, attempted homicide, prostitution, embezzlement of funds, stealing, human trafficking, and involvement in fights.

They have partially served their sentences ranging from less than one year imprisonment to the death penalty.

Eleven of them were already deported to the Philippines while deportation of four others are still being arranged.

The remaining OFW has been pardoned for the crime of drug peddling, but still faces a 7-year jail term for human trafficking.

The royal pardon made on May 20 was hailed as a testimony to the strong ties, shared values, and friendship between the governments of the Philippines and Bahrain. (PR)

 

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...