Canadian police investigate murder of Filipina in Burnaby, B.C.

By Naomi Tiburcio

The Canadian Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT), Canada’s largest homicide unit, is investigating the circumstances which led to the death of Filipino Maria Cecilia Loreto, 49, last week.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, the government’s broadcasting network, said Loreto’s body was found in a park in Burnaby City, British Columbia.

Loreto was a mother who worked at a food store in Vancouver and immigrated from the Philippines.

On March 18, emergency responders went to Greentree Village Park following reports of bush and grass fire, but they instead found Loreto’s body on fire.

IHIT believes Loreto died on the evening of March 17.

“We believe that [Maria] Cecilia was in fact killed at her residence in New Westminster earlier that evening,” IHIT Corporal Frank Jang said.

Filipino Carlo Tobias, 21, and a 15-year-old youth face charges of first-degree murder and indignity to human remains. No additional information was given on the minor.

Jang said the two accused knew the victim and the death was not “random.” “We have a very good idea of what happened … but all that information, right now, isn’t for public consumption, unfortunately.”

He also reassured the public it was an isolated incident and no threat is posed to residents.

The Philippine Consulate General in Vancouver earlier cascaded the information on Loreto who went missing on March 17.

Their post read: “She also goes by the names Mycel and Maricel. She was last seen in New Westminster on March 17, 2021, along 5th Ave and 9th Street. She was driving an old black Honda Civic with red lines. Let’s help each other find her po.”

Both the Consulate General and the Department of Foreign Affairs have not replied to reporters’ request for a statement.

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...