Malaysia declares nationwide lockdown to stem rise in COVID-19 cases

By Christine Fabro

Malaysia’s Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said on May 11 that the country will be imposing a nationwide movement control order (MCO) from May 12 to June 7 to halt the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the country.

The Prime Minister said the spike in COVID-19 cases began in mid-April, the start of the Ramadan fasting month.

This will be the third major lockdown to be implemented nationwide since the onset of the pandemic in Malaysia – the strictest since March last year.

Inter-state and inter-district travels are also banned except for work, emergencies, medical appointments, visiting of spouses, and for vaccination appointments.

Malaysia’s active coronavirus cases are at 37,396 as of May 10, more than double the 15,000 cases in the past month. -jlo

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...