Uganda building collapse leaves three dead, dozens trapped under rubble

Xinhua News Agency

KAMPALA, Sept. 5 – At least three people have been confirmed dead and dozens remain trapped under rubble after a building construction site collapsed in Uganda’s capital, Kampala on Sunday (Sept. 5), a humanitarian agency said.

Irene Nakasiita, spokesperson for Uganda Red Cross Society said in a statement that three bodies have so far been retrieved from rubble after a building under constitution in Kisenyi, downtown Kampala area collapsed and caved in.

“Another body has been recovered. This brings the number of dead people so far to three. Extrication process (is) under way for people stuck under the debris,” Nakasiita said.

At least dozens of people are still believed to be trapped under the rubble, the humanitarian agency added

The Red Cross, Ugandan police, and fire brigade deployed response teams to support rescue and search efforts.

“We (Red Cross) have deployed our emergency rescue services team and two ambulances to support the emergency rescue going on at Kisenyi, near the bus terminal where a building under construction just caved in,” a statement from the agency said.

Building site collapses are common in Uganda, mostly blamed on poor workmanship. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...