OCTA: NCR average cases up to over 5,200

The average daily COVID-19 cases in the National Capital Region (NCR) increased to 5,268 from last week’s average of 4,614 cases, according to OCTA Research Group.

Despite the increase, the hospital bed occupancy from Sept. 1 to 7 decreased to 6,069 from the 6,211 record from Aug. 25 to 31. The intensive care unit (ICU) utilization also slightly declined to 1,064 from 1,078 during the same period.

The Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines (PHAPi) said they don’t see any problem with the current occupancy rate in their hospitals. However, the number of on-duty medical workers has been affected due to COVID-19 infection or exposure to a known case.

PHAPi Pres. Dr. Jose de Grano said one nurse is needed for each severe and critical case, while moderate cases would require one nurse for three to four patients.

The Philippine Nurses Association (PNA) said nurses also shoulder the cost of their COVID-19 testing.

“Gagastos at gagastos ka kasi hindi naman sasagutin ng ospital na pinagta-trabahuhan nila, dahil nga wala raw pondo dahil hindi sila naka-kasingil sa PhilHealth,” PNA Pres. Melbert Reyes said.

Department of Health (DOH) data showed there are 364 active COVID-19 cases among healthcare workers from the total tally of 23,915 as of Sept. 6. A total of 103 health workers have succumbed to the disease.

The DOH said it has already “hired over 10,000 HRH for July to December 2021” as of Aug. 27, and is coordinating with PhilHealth “to fast track the release of claims of the 72 DOH Hospitals and the rest of the hospitals throughout the country.”

Meanwhile, DOH Sec. Francisco Duque III said P14.3 billion worth of healthcare worker benefits has been released, which covers active hazard duty pay, special risk allowance, accommodation and meals, transportation, and life insurance.

The DOH said it is working double-time the distribution of another round of benefits for health workers worth more than P888 million. – Report from Mark Fetalco/AG- bny

Watch full report here:

 

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...