TESDA disproves claims of transferred funds to NTF-ELCAC

The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) clarified there has been no realignment in TESDA funds at any point in time in the past, a TESDA official said on Tuesday (Sept. 28).

In a Laging Handa public briefing on Tuesday, TESDA Deputy Director General Lina Sarmiento disproved the claims that some P160 million in TESDA funds has been diverted to the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC).

“Wala pong katotohanan na nagtransfer tayo ng pera sa NTF ELCAC, yung P160 million, may component na P147 million, ni-release ng TESDA sa regional offices galing sa centrally-managed funds. Ito ay para sa scholarship funds ng 2020 GAA [General Appropriations Act],” Sarmiento said.

According to Sarmiento, the funds had been used to bankroll the education of those living in the uplands, Indigenous Peoples (IP) communities, and localities of former insurgents that are returning into the mainstream.

“Itong mga ito, with or without the NTF ELCAC, ginagawa ito ng TESDA. Ito ay mga scholarship programs na kinonduct ng TESDA doon sa mga bundok sa IP communities, sa mga communities kung nasaan ang mga former rebels,” Sarmiento said.

She added that an updated status on unobligated funds was already submitted to the Lower House today.

In the status report, TESDA has close to P6 billion in unobligated funds. Of which, P3.6 billion is earmarked for scholarships and some P973 million was set aside for post-scholarship program purposes. – Report from PTV News / CF -rir

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...