NBA: New season may see some players missing home games

Anadolu Agency

The 2021-2022 NBA season, the 75th season of the association, will get underway in three weeks. However, there are still some players who remain unvaccinated, causing a bit of controversy.

A total of 90% of players have received at least one dose of the shot. But for some players have reportedly not yet been vaccinated. One of them is Kyrie Irving of the Brooklyn Nets.

Players in the NBA are not currently mandated to receive the vaccine against coronavirus. But in some cities such as New York City and San Francisco, players must be vaccinated before they are allowed to play at their home court.

Aside from Irving, there is also Andrew Wiggins of the Golden State Warriors. The 26-year-old former top pick previously applied for a religious exemption from getting the COVID-19 jab. That request was denied by the league.

“Wiggins will not be able to play in Warriors home games until he fulfills the city’s vaccination requirements,” the NBA said in a statement.

Regardless, the 6-foot-7 Canadian defended his decision.

“I’m confident in my beliefs and what I think is right, what I think is wrong. I’m just going to keep doing what I believe. Whether it’s one thing or another, just going to keep doing it,” Wiggins said.

Also, Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar suggested that the NBA should remove the staff or players who refused to take the vaccine. (Anadolu) -bny

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...