PNVF Champions League: Aguilas outlast Manileño Spikers in opener

LIPA CITY – Go for Gold-Air Force found the VNS Manileño Spikers a tough nut to crack before carving out a 23-25, 25-23, 19-25, 25-23, 15-11 victory in the Philippine National Volleyball Federation Champions League men’s inaugurals on Monday (Nov. 29) at the Aquamarine Recreational Center.

With the Manileño Spikers closing in an 11-13, Kim Malabunga’s kill put the Aguilas at match point before Mark Alfafara closed out the exciting two-hour, 11-minute contest with a block on Roniey Adviento.

Earning its first win in the three-team Pool A, coach Dante Alinsunurin knows that Go for Gold cannot afford to be complacent again when his troops shoot for a spot in the semifinals against the Basilan Steel Spikers Amin-Anak Mindanao at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday (Nov. 30).

“Any team can beat everybody,” Alinsunurin, whose Aguilas have only trained two weeks before the competition, said.

“We have a fresh start and the team which is very determined to win will reach on top,” he added.

Alfafara had five blocks overall to finish with 19 points to go with nine digs while Malabunga and John Vic de Guzman each had 16 points for Go for Gold.

It was De Guzman who earned the distinction to score the first-ever point in the men’s Champions League, nailing an attack off a Jessie Lopez set.

A long-time Philippine team captain who was a part of the Southeast Asian Games silver medal-winning squad in 2019 that revived the country’s men’s volleyball program, De Guzman was delighted to have the federation-owned national league to get going.

“I’m very thankful for this opportunity because after the SEA Games in 2019, the program was cut kasi due to the pandemic,” De Guzman said.

“We are very thankful that club men’s volleyball is back and our goal in the future is to encourage the young aspirants to continue thw legacy for our men’s national volleyball team,” he added.

Morris Gavan led VNS with 17 points while John Benedict San Andres added 13 points and 16 receptions. (PNVF) – bny

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...